Interdisciplinary program on cultural, political, and ecological dimensions of ocean convenes artists and global thought-leaders during Singapore Art Week, January 25 – 27, 2018
The Current Convening #3 Organized by TBA21–Academy in collaboration with NTU Centre for Contemporary Art Singapore with curator Ute Meta Bauer
WHAT: TBA21–Academy and curator Ute Meta Bauer (founding director, NTU CCA Singapore) fosters new opportunity for ocean advocacy through a vibrant symposium held this January during Singapore Art Week. Convening a diverse range of thought-leaders—including artists, musicians, environmental researchers, conservationists, anthropologists, and government officials—with Fijian collaborators and community groups, the three-day program features diverse and discursive events, including roundtable discussions, workshops, and performances.
Key participants in the Convening include:
- Guest of Honor Masagos Zulkifli, Minister of the Environment and Water Resources of Singapore;
- Chief Roko Sau, Paramount Chief of Totoya Islands, Fiji;
- Taholo Kami, Special Advisor for Pacific Partnerships to the COP23 Presidency Secretariat, Fiji;
- Sandor Mulsow, from the United Nations International Seabed Authority, Kingston, Jamaica;
- Artists Tarek Atoui, Lebanon/France; Rasmus Nielsen from the collective SUPERFLEX, Denmark; Robert Zhao Ren Hui, Singapore; Lucy Orta, United Kingdom/France;
- Anthropologist Cynthia Chou from University of Iowa; Hervé Raimana Lallemant-Moe from the Law Department at University of French Polynesia, Tahiti; and Cresantia Koya Vaka’uta, Director of Oceania Centre for Arts, Culture and Pacific Studies & Pacific Heritage Hub at University of the South Pacific, Fiji;
- As well as Francesca von Habsburg, TBA21 Founder and Executive Director, and Markus Reymann, TBA21–Academy Director, London.
The event marks the culmination of Bauer’s tenure as an expedition leader of The Current, a three-year fellowship program of TBA21–Academy, which included voyages to Papua New Guinea, French Polynesia, and Fiji. Joined by her fellow expedition participants, the program fosters an open dialogue about environmental urgencies and their implications on international law, policy-making, education, and artistic practices.
In conjunction with the event, NTU Centre for Contemporary Art Singapore is presenting The Oceanic, an exhibition featuring commissioned works from the artists who joined Bauer on her expeditions, as well as videos and material captured over the three-year program.
WHO: The Convening #3 is organized by TBA21–Academy in collaboration with NTU Centre for Contemporary Art Singapore. The program is curated by Markus Reymann, Director of TBA21–Academy, Stefanie Hessler, Curator of TBA21–Academy, and Professor Ute Meta Bauer, Founding Director of NTU CCA Singapore.
WHEN: Thursday, January 25 – Saturday, January 27, 2018
A full program and schedule is available at http://ntu.ccasingapore.org/events/convening-3/
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS: Block 43 Malan Road,Singapore, 109443
ADMISSIONS:The event is free and open to the public.