Interdisciplinary program on cultural, political, and ecological dimensions of ocean convenes artists and global thought-leaders during Singapore Art Week, January 25 – 27, 2018
The Current Convening #3 Organized by TBA21–Academy in collaboration with NTU Centre for Contemporary Art Singapore with curator Ute Meta Bauer
WHAT: TBA21–Academy and curator Ute Meta Bauer (founding director, NTU CCA Singapore) fosters new opportunity for ocean advocacy through a vibrant symposium held this January during Singapore Art Week. Convening a diverse range of thought-leaders—including artists, musicians, environmental researchers, conservationists, anthropologists, and government officials—with Fijian collaborators and community groups, the three-day program features diverse and discursive events, including roundtable discussions, workshops, and performances. A full program is available at http://ntu.ccasingapore.org/events/convening-3/.
Key participants in the Convening include:
- Guest of Honor Masagos Zulkifli, Minister of the Environment and Water Resources of Singapore;
- Roko Josefa Cinavilkeba, High Chief of the Yasayasamoala Island group, Fiji
- Taholo Kami, Special Advisor for Pacific Partnerships to the COP23 Presidency Secretariat, Fiji;
- Sandor Mulsow, from the United Nations International Seabed Authority, Kingston, Jamaica;
- Artists including musician, composer and sound artist Tarek Atoui; the artist collectives SUPERFLEX and Lucy + Jorge Orta; photographer Armin Linke; and artist and filmmaker Lisa Rave;
- Anthropologist Cynthia Chou from University of Iowa; Hervé Raimana Lallemant-Moe from the Law Department at University of French Polynesia, Tahiti; and Cresantia Koya Vaka’uta, Director of Oceania Centre for Arts, Culture and Pacific Studies & Pacific Heritage Hub at University of the South Pacific, Fiji;
- As well as Markus Reymann, TBA21–Academy Director, London and Ute Meta Bauer, founding director, NTU CCA Singapore, and expedition leader of The Current TBA21–Academy.
The event marks the culmination of Bauer’s tenure as an expedition leader of The Current, a three-year fellowship program of TBA21–Academy, which included voyages to Papua New Guinea, French Polynesia, and Fiji. Joined by her fellow expedition participants, the program fosters an open dialogue about environmental urgencies and their implications on international law, policy-making, education, and artistic practices.
In conjunction with the event, NTU Centre for Contemporary Art Singapore is presenting The Oceanic, an exhibition featuring commissioned works from the artists who joined Bauer on her expeditions, as well as videos and material captured over the three-year program.
The program will also include publication launch and reception on Saturday, January 27 of Tidalectics: Imagining an Ocean Worldview through Art and Science (Published by MIT Press and TBA21–Academy), a new publication by TBA21–Academy resulting from its ongoing commissioning of new research and investigations into the ocean by scholars from a diverse range of fields.
WHO: The Convening #3 is organized by TBA21–Academy in collaboration with NTU Centre for Contemporary Art Singapore. The program is curated by Markus Reymann, Director of TBA21–Academy, Stefanie Hessler, Curator of TBA21–Academy, and Professor Ute Meta Bauer, Founding Director of NTU CCA Singapore.
WHEN: Thursday, January 25 – Saturday, January 27, 2018
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS: Block 43 Malan Road,Singapore, 109443
ADMISSIONS:The event is free and open to the public.